Current State of On-Line Games and Violence
Violence in On-Line games wires young minds for violence
Violent video games are becoming a serious issue. The rapid growth in the spread of violent Video games has and still is 'wiring' children for hatred, indifference and violence.
Violent online video games have been connected to several shootings in many countries in the past decade. Here are some examples just in the past decade;
- 1.Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting (December 14, 2012): The perpetrator was found to have a "trove" of violent video games.
- 2.Munich Olympia Mall shooting (July 22, 2016): The shooting occurred in the vicinity of the Olympia Shopping Mall in the Moosach District of Munich, Bavaria, Germany. The perpetrator killed 10 people before killing himself when surrounded by police. The German Minister of the Interior confirmed that "intolerable extent of video games on the internet" has a harmful effect on the development of young people.
- 3.Parkland school shooting (February 14, 2018): The Stoneman Douglas High School shooting occurred in Parkland, Florida. The Kentucky Governor stated that video games have desensitized people to the value of human life.
- 4.Suzano school shooting (March 13, 2019): The Suzano school shooting occurred in the Brazilian municipality of Suzano, São Paulo. The perpetrators killed five school students and two school employees then committed suicide. The Brazilian Govt. admitted that young people are addicted to violent video games and that the work routine of Brazilian parents made it harder for young people to be raised properly.
- 5.August 2019 shootings - One in in El Paso, Texas and another in Dayton, Ohio: Two mass shootings occurred within a day of each other. Video games were partially blamed for the incidents. U.S. President Donald Trump stated that we must stop the glorification of violence propagated by gruesome and grisly video games that are now commonplace. When you look at the photos of how the shootings took place, you can see the actions within video games.
- 6.Halle synagogue shooting (October 9, 2019): The Halle synagogue shooting occurred in Halle, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany, continuing in nearby Landsberg. The suspect was indentified as being influenced by far-right ideology and managed to live-stream his attack on Facebook and Twitch. In the process of the attack, he managed to kill two people before being subdued by police. Given the live-streamed nature of the attack, German Minister of the Interior stated that many of the perpetrators or the potential perpetrators come from the gaming scene with regards to incidents like the shooting in Halle.
- 7.School shooting in Torreon, Mexico (January 2020): Hours after a school shooting in Torreón, Coahuila, Mexico, in, the governor of that state confirmed that the 11-year-old shooter was wearing a T-shirt with the legend Natural Selection and could have been influenced by the game. Others stated that video games influence children's behavior but that the parents are most directly responsible.
When you look at the photos of how the shootings took place, you can see the actions within video games. Not only the perpetrators or the potential perpetrators come from the gaming scene with regards to incidents like the shooting in Halle, but the age of shooters is as young as 11-year-old.
This Project is an alternative to violent video games. It offers participants the opportunity to learn positive life enhancing habits and behavior while experiencing the world and the Universe with great humanists and travelers in human history.